FAQ Court info:

What happens if I get a ticket?

If you have been charged with violating a City of South Milwaukee Municipal Ordinance, a court date will be assigned on the citation. The citation will also indicate if an appearance in court is mandatory. If your appearance is not mandatory you may do any of the following before your court date:

· Mail payment of the fine to the South Milwaukee Municipal Court. Payment must be received prior to your court date.

· Pay-in-person at the South Milwaukee Police Department during normal business hours (Mon-Fri 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM)

· Enter a “not guilty” plea in writing prior to your court date. This may be done in person at the South Milwaukee Police Department or by mailing in written notice of your not guilty plea.

· Appear in person at the South Milwaukee Municipal Court (2424 15th Avenue) on your court date at the time listed on your citation.

What Will Happen If I Appear In Court?

The date on your citation is the date of your initial appearance. At this appearance you will enter a plea to the charge. You may plead guilty, not guilty, or no contest. The initial appearance is not a trial date. If you plead guilty or no contest the court will fine you and the matter will be resolved. You may pay the fine on the court date or ask for time to pay the fine. If you plead not guilty then you will meet with the City Attorney on this date to try to resolve this matter. If the matter is not resolved then the case will be scheduled for a trial date.

What Happens If I do not appear in Court or Fail to Pay on Time?

Failure to comply with the above listed options will result in a warrant or a default judgment being issued against you. In the event of a default judgment the Court will impose a fine and additional court costs. Failure to pay the fine within 60 days will result in:

· The suspension of your driving privileges for up to 2 years or until the fine is paid; AND/OR

· The issuance of a Writ for your commitment to the Milwaukee County House of Correction. Sentences are determined by the fine amount owed; AND/OR

· Certification of Debt to WI Department of Revenue for Tax Intercept Program

Any questions regarding the above procedures should be directed to the Clerk of Courts 414-762-2222 x170. Contact may also be made with the City Attorney at 414-529-8900.