- Milwaukee Avenue Streetscaping Project
Milwaukee Avenue Streetscaping Project
The City of South Milwaukee is moving ahead with a streetscaping project to enhance the look and feel of Milwaukee Avenue. The work will transform our Main Street with:
- Bike Racks
- New Sidewalks
- Street Lighting
- Traffic Signals
- Other Decorative Features
There will also be a limited amount of street repair, and the addition of bicycle lanes to create a spur of the Oak Leaf Trail through downtown.
- Removal of existing banner poles and footings.
- WE Energies removal of existing lighting and installation of new conduit and lighting.
- Install storm sewer and inlets at 9th and Milwaukee intersection.
- Remove and replace area of designated curb and gutter, and install curb for new curb ramps, new curb on west side of 9th, south of Milwaukee Avenue. (Angle parking removed.)
- Remove and replace areas of designated curb and concrete pavement. Install new curb ramps at specified intersections.
- Install temporary traffic signals at 10th and Milwaukee intersection, remove existing traffic signal and install new equipment.
- Modification of traffic signals at the intersection of Milwaukee Avenue to 13th Avenue to remove and install new signal heads and poles (to replace banner poles).
- Install pavement markings for new signals and crosswalks, and bike lane on each side.
Phase 2 in 2020 will include:
- Sidewalk and concrete replacement between back of curb and buildings with 4 feet wide terrace area (2 feet by 2 feet) picture frame concrete and 16 inch paver band at street trees.
- Structural soil, non-pressurized irrigation system (fill pipe), and street trees installed.
- Install streetscaping amenities (planters, benches, bike racks)
- Phase 1 Project Awarded: J&A Pohl, Inc.
- Phase II Project Awarded: EK Construction, LLC
Alternative Downtown Parking Locations
- Alternative Downtown Parking - Visual Map
- 12th Avenue and Milwaukee Avenue
- 11th Avenue and Milwaukee Avenue
- 11th Avenue and Madison Avenue
- 10th Avenue and Madison Avenue (Behind TriCity National Bank)
- South Milwaukee Public Library parking lot